Thursday, December 27, 2007

Pakistan

It could be hormones that made me cry this morning when I turned on the CBC and heard that Benazir Bhutto was assassinated this morning, but I don't think it was. For as long as I can remember being somewhat aware of world politics I have admired Benazir Bhutto, a woman, in that part of the world who has the deep respect of her people. A woman elected into office in a Muslim country. She gave me hope for that part of the world. Maybe, maybe things could be better there. She had so much influence, even in her self-imposed exile...I don't know, I suppose it doesn't matter now.

This morning (evening in Pakistan) Benazir Bhutto was shot twice. Once in the neck, once in the chest. Her shooter then blew himself up, killing at least 13 others. She was taken to the hospital and rushed into emergency surgery, but an hour later she died. Violent riots have sprung up throughout Pakistan at the news of her death, and President Musharraf is expected to declare martial law before the night is through. So much for hope.

3 comments:

david santos said...

I wish you a good end of 2007 and a good year of 2008.

Elizabeth said...

I was insanely upset too honey. I was following the pakistan stuff earlier in the year and I admired her so much for what she was trying to do.
without her, Musharaff would never have put the constitution back in play. this is going to be the perfect excuse for him to cancel the election.

James said...

It wasn't hormones: I was crying too.