Saturday, January 20, 2007

Bug Number Two

Wow, between being sick and just hanging out with Mary, time sure has flown by. Can you believe it's been over a week since I posted here last?

The cold I was fighting is still lingering, though mostly just with a scratchy throat and a runny nose. It was absolutely brutal at it's peak though, it was in my ears, nose, throat and chest and I was miserable. It didn't help that pregnant women are not allowed to take anything other than tylenol to help. Let me tell you, when you have a sinus/throat/chest cold, no matter how much tylenol you take and halls you suck it just doesn't help. I broke down one day and took some Neo-Critran because I couldn't take it anymore. It helped, and I'm almost positive that two mugs of the stuff will not overly damage my unborn child.

Mary's doing much better too, although she has the seriously runny nose that the cold has left behind in both of us. She's been awfully fun to play with lately, since she started feeling better. She had her first official haircut at a salon today, and it went really well. We went to a place in Sherwood Park that is specifically for kids, and they were great, though it helped that Mary was frozen with terror for most of the visit. Usually I can't even brush her hair, but they managed to wet it, cut it, and even put a little ponytail in on the top of her head. She was rewarded afterward with a nice red sucker, and from her reaction a red sucker will make up for just about any torture I put her through.

On thursday we had an ultrasound to see Bug Number Two, or as I like to call it, Dickie Douglas Dixon. We still don't know if it is a boy or a girl, and I have mixed feelings about that. I hate surprises with a passion that most people can only imagine, but it is kind of neat to think that when the Dr. says "It's a _____!" when the baby's born, it'll be the first time we know. We've pretty much decided on names already, though we do toy with other names from time to time. For a girl it will likely be Frances Anne Louise, a boy will be James Thomas Crawford, or perhaps Patrick James Crawford. What do you think? I like the names Duncan or Declan, but those just don't work with our last name. I like the name Alice too, but I'm afraid that it is becoming a bit too trendy these days.

Oh! I forgot to mention, we bought a van this week! It's a 98 Plymouth Voyager and it was a real steal according to Ian. The dealership we bought it from had just done a big "Trade In Your Vehicle And We Will Love You Forever!" promotion, and they were overflowing with used vehicles that they were desperate to get rid of. So we now have a minivan and we are likely going to try to sell Angus the Ford Taurus some time in the near future. If we can get rid of the huge debt we have left owing on the Taurus our lives will be much happier.

So, there you have it. I've been sick, I've been playing with Mary, I've been visiting the Dr....that's about it for the last week and a bit. The next week should be interesting, Marvel on Tuesday, Purgatory turns coming out sometime this week, Purgatory itself on Friday (YAY!!) and Liz's cheesecake birthday party on Saturday, and of course getting used to driving the van, that should be fun too.

4 comments:

James said...

You and I should get together someday and form a "surprises suck!" club, while our spouses roll their eyes and trade stories about us.

I also hate surprises. I've found this sums up best when I'm trying to explain it by saying "I'm the guy who, when presented with a surprise birthday party organized by all his friends, will turn around and walk out the door."

James

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I cannot stop laughing at the prospect of naming a child Duncan with your surname. Unless you think being beat-up every day on the way to school builds character, you're likely making a wise decision to stick with your other choices.

So when are you going to go register at one of our lovely multinational corporations (like say, Target?)so I can send Bug#2 some gender neutral onesies and blankets without screwing around with Customs forms? Huh? Well? Huh? Fine, but don't wait until you're at 39 and a half weeks and can't walk the aisles, ok?

Philippe de St-Denis said...

I'm not fussy on surprises either, and I have a morbid terror that some well-intentioned friend will one day take me out for a birthday dinner and the entire restaurant staff will appear at my table with a cake singing Happy Birthday and causing my skull to explode.

Philippe de St-Denis said...

Oh, and if Bug 2 is a girl, I think Anne is a brilliant name!