Friday, June 22, 2007

Daddy's Girl

Ian went back to work this week. I have to admit, I was really quite worried about him being gone all day and having to deal with both girls by myself. Monday morning came and I was extremely stressed out. Mary has been extremely needy since Frances came into our home, and it was usual to have to deal with one raging temper tantrum every day.

So, Monday came, Ian went to work, and I braced myself. There was not one temper tantrum all day long. No tears, no clinging to legs, no hitting, no shrieking. Mary was happy and well behaved and sweet all day long. Until Ian came home. Tuesday Ian didn't work till 1:30 in the afternoon. The morning was rough, Mary demanded to be picked up and carried around by Ian, she clung to his leg, she cried and yelled. Once he left for work she was a different creature, sweet, happy and well behaved. Wednesday and Thursday were his days off, and things went back to "usual," with temper tantrums and the rest. This morning as he was leaving for work she was clinging to his leg and screaming bloody murder, but since he left it's been a breeze. I'm starting to see a pattern here, how about you? Anyone have any advice for how we can deal with this little problem, cause I'm at a loss, and Ian is getting pretty frustrated.

We are off to look at a house in Milestone tonight. If we like it, we are going to make an offer on it right away. No thinking, no futzing around. If we wait, even till tomorrow morning, the house will likely be gone. Wish us luck, I really hope it's worth offering something for. I can't wait to get out of this apartment and into a house.

2 comments:

greypanther said...

I don't really have much of a suggestion for Mary's Daddy's Girl complex other than she is probably placing all of her anxiety onto him. She knows that you have the new baby and so demands attention from the one who she doesn't have to compete for. Maybe Ian should use a firm voice and tell her she won;t get what she wants from him if she continues to act like that. Then have consequences such as staying in her room(removing breakables of course), having to sit or merely that her demands will not be answered because she threw a tamper tantrum.

You know how hard it is not to give in when your child is screaming at you but I do believe you two can stick to your guns and Mary will eventually learn that she can not always have her way. Speaking from experience this is really hard and it's the consistency that is hard to maintain. So I guess I did have some advice. Lol.

Okay on the other note I wish you all the luck of getting a house soon. I know how frustrated you are with the house hunt. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, do I hear you. I dread, dread, DREAD the weekend as I know it will be tantrum after tantrum for the benefit of Pop. By Sunday evening I'm threatening to run away.

Come Monday though, we're back to regular naps and good behaviour. Until Friday afternoon, around 6PM when the cycle begins anew.