Friday, June 01, 2007

Lack Of Control

Can you believe that it's June 1st already? Only 2 weeks left till the estimated date of arrival for the baby, and after that I can get REALLY grumpy if it hasn't shown up yet.

Today is Ians first day of work in over a month! He was pretty excited (well, as excited as my stoic little husband ever gets) to be back to work, and he was a little nervous. I haven't heard anything from him yet, so I assume that they day is going well so far. Mary and I are at a bit of a loss as to what to do with ourselves without him around, but so far Mary has accepted that Daddy is at work, and whenever she starts to miss him she informs me very seriously "Daddy Work" and that's the end of it till the next time she thinks about him.

We went to a place called Tots Cafe this morning. We've been there several times since moving to Regina, and we quite like it. It has an indoor playground area as well as a place for parents to sit and drink tea or pop, hang out and chat or whatever else they want, really. It's an incredibly child friendly place, as well as a great place for parents to go. Anyways, it was going really well, Mary was having a blast and had actually befriended (as much as a 2 year old can) a little girl named Mikayla. There were several other kids around Marys age playing peacefully, if not together then near each other and there was no fighting. Then this woman brought her two horrible grandsons in. The moment they got there I knew they would be trouble...they started demanding that she buy them this or that, and yelling rudely at her. She just ignored them, shoo'd them to the play area, and sat down with her book. She proceeded to ignore them as they bossed around the littler kids (they were both older, around 6 and 8 or so), bullying and shoving and sending several of them, including Mikayla, off in tears. Marys little friends mother sighed and packed up the little girl and her newborn and left, and when one of the horrible creatures pushed Mary off a slide and she started crying, I left too. I guess I should have said something, but I kept thinking that the stupid cow would step in and say something to her awful grandchildren. It was clear that they were bullies and being plain mean. Mary was ready to go at that point anyways, but it was still a frustrating way to end a nice morning.

Oh, and while I was there a woman came up to me and asked if I had gone to Massey elementary or Campbell High school...I had gone to both, so I smiled a little blankly and said that I had. I guess she did too, and while she was a couple of years older than me, she recognized me as soon as I walked in. I'm afraid I was a little rude to her as I was paralyzed with shyness and nervousness and I only mumbled some small talk and ran off to sit by myself as soon as I could. Sigh. I could have made friends with her and her sister, and actually had a friend here in Regina. Maybe I'll see them again there some time.

We got our cable hooked up yesterday. It's nice to have tv again and to be able to watch something other than Cars or Finding Nemo. We got a promotional deal where we get pretty much every channel under the sun for a very inexpensive fee. I find that I'm still watching the same channels as I did with our regular cable back home. Even when you have 200+ channels, there's still rarely anything worth watching on...though if I wanted I could watch CSI 24 hours a day.

No comments: