Friday, July 08, 2005

Vaccine day

Mary is sleeping now. Finally. This is the first nap she's had since she woke up this morning at 8. Vaccine day is never fun. She has been yelling like crazy since we came home. She doesn't want to eat, doesn't want to be held, but screams till she's blue (literally) if I put her down. When she moves her legs, she screams, because she got poked in both legs. She has started to fall asleep, then moved one of her little legs, and woken herself up. I feel so bad for her, but there isn't anything I can do for her. I gave her some tylenol and she finally fell asleep in my arms, so I put her in her crib, and she promptly woke up, you guessed it, screaming. I sat there and tried to soothe her, and she finally fell back asleep, but it seems to be fairly restless, I'm not sure how long it'll last. Thank God that this is the last vaccine until she is a year old, I don't think I could do this again any time soon.

Needless to say, we missed our swimming lesson this morning, which is too bad. Today was pfd day, so we were going into the big pool instead of the kiddie pool. It would have been interesting to see her reaction to that. I'm sure we will do it again next week, I just hope it isn't Friday again, as we have a 3 hour appointment at the Glenrose. I am really looking forward to this appt, actually. Some good things come out of having your baby in the ICU after being born, and this is one of them. Her appointment is with a doctor, nurse, speech pathologist and physical therapist, and they see her every 6 months until she is 2 or so, I think. Because she was tongue tied, I am a little worried about her having speech problems like my brother did, so I'm really happy that we get to see the speech pathologist.

I spoke with my dad last night, and it sounds like my cousin, her fiancee, and my aunt in London are all okay, but a little shaken up. Thankfully they were at home, and not taking the transit yesterday morning. I was a little shocked by the venom that my dad was spewing when I spoke to him, he is getting more intolerant the older he gets, and he had some choice things to say about the "bloody Arabs," as he put it. It's hard not to agree with him a little bit, hate is far too easy though, and I really don't think that genocide is the answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a day. Hope you are both doing better soon.