Thursday, October 13, 2005

Why I Need a New House

This morning, I decided to go outside and check the mail. It sounds like a simple enough task to accomplish, right? So I put on my runners, and stepped outside onto the step, and the screen door shut behind me, as is normal. I checked the mailbox (which had the embroidery thread that I ordered from the States in it, YAY!), and turned to get back into the house. Nope. The poltergeist that lives in the screen door decided that it would be best for me to stay outside in the rain, while my baby sat inside. I did not panic, even a little. I struggled with the God Damned Door for a moment, and went over to my neighbor's place to beg for help. When I got back to the front door, Mary, and all four cats were standing at the screen door, peering out. All five of them thought it was great fun as the neighbour and I struggled to get into the house, and Mary shouted encouragement (thank heavens she had just eaten and was in a good mood). We finally decided that the best bet was to just wreck the screen in the screen door, so I could reach through and unlock the God Damned Door. I hate that door.

Last night I had a very strange dream, about being a CIA/KGB double agent in the 1950's. My friend G who is currently doing his Masters of Divinity at a Catholic college was the CIA agent who caught me. It was odd that no one else had figured me out, I dressed like Natasha in the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons, and kept saying "Ve make beeg trable for moose and skvirrel." I suspect I had that dream because I just finished reading a Ken Follet novel about much the same thing.

So, the Alberta government is throwing around the idea of free post-secondary education for Albertans. I cannot describe how exciting that is. They say that it will be the first two years, but any help at all will make education so much more accessible. I would love to go to school, but we just haven't the finances for it. I suspect that if they do decide to go with the plan there will be all sorts of people that don't qualify, but even if I can't take advantage of it, it would be wonderful to know that Mary could go to university.

Ian's work seems to be going well enough. He described yesterday as "mind numbing," but okay. He has all sorts of worries about the work that he is doing, but I am sure that he is doing well. I seem to have turned into the happy homemaker since Ian started this new job, I'm not certain why. Maybe I'm trying to convince him that it would be a good idea for me to stay home instead of going to work, that I do actually serve a purpose here. Anyways, I did about 4 loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and when Ian got home, his supper was on the table. It may not sound like a lot, but I am developmentally handicapped when it comes to housework, so I was quite proud of myself, and Ian was pleased and surprised to come home to a cleanish house and supper on the table

Anyways, I'm off to clean the bathroom!

1 comment:

Goody said...

All right, look...put down the can of lysol because the fumes are obviously getting to you (as she joyfully skips off to scour the basin).

And as a show of screen-door misery-enjoys-company, I'm going to post a photograph of ours at my blog.